Nonphenomenal Lineage

Just another weblog

Zero Degrees of Separation

with 2 comments

Jason Lytle Sings “Jed’s Other Poem”

There is a theory that everyone is connected. They say that no matter where you live, or how far away you are from any other human being, whether or not you are acquainted, you can reach anyone through a series of personal connections–a short chain that consists of merely six people.

This chain, called Six Degrees of Separation, is a theory developed by a Hungarian writer named Frigyes Karinthy in 1929. Of course, Six Degrees of Separation as a rule is impossible to prove in any practical sense. Rather, it can only be tested on a case-by-case study. But for now, let’s take a deep breath and ponder the possibilities…


This story attemps to explain three things:

1 the wonder of music
2 how people and circumstances have led me to this moment
3 my idolization of one particular person

There are a lot of specific moments in my life that warrant explanation. Certain turning points or dead ends which shape who and how I am–how everyone is, or at least how I see them. To chronicle them all here would be probably be impossible and most definitely boring. So, instead of regailing you with all the splendidly dull little happenings over the last 26 years of my life, I choose instead to focus my hindsight on one particular part of one particular night: the moment where I met Jason Lytle.

Most of you who already know me may be groaning by now; you’re probably thinking there is no end in sight to my incessant prattling about this this guy or his music. Gentle reader, if that is indeed the case, kindly go to hell, and then we can all be moving right along. Thank you.

If you aren’t yet familiar with my adoration of Mr. Lytle or Grandaddy, please read this as a primer before you read any further here.

Now I know what you’re all thinking, so please just stop. I am not one of those backwards and socially inept people who pick a celebrity and cling to their image in the way some people cling to God. I don’t have any shrines, or candles, or any trumped up delusions of him loving me or secretly communicating with me via songs played backwards on a record player. No, there are no voices in my head telling me creepy things like I am the secret bride of this man.

In fact, I believe in so little of anything these days, if I believe anything at all. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why I have grown to love this music; it is a solace to me when other things have let me down.

Music never lets you down!

Music is wonderful. Music entertains and sustains you on three levels:
At first listen, when music enters your brain, the notes crackle brightly at the end of your synapeses, exhilirating you with their folly and their brilliance. Little bursts of this electricity combine with melodies to bring to you a vibrance that is unparalleled by any other medium.

Then, after a few listens, music will begin to forge grooves in your mind, little rivers that you return to, again and again, both as a pleasure and as a panacea. Patterns and sequences of sounds that score your life, little melodies and rhythms that orchestrate your very mood. A familiarity to turn to in times of uncertainty. Music can be your solace or your catalyst, depending on what you need.

And then, as time passes, and you move on to new music and new experiences, an interesting thing happens. When, perchance by radio or as you’re spring cleaning and come upon a record that you listened to years before, hearing those long lost notes unlocks within your mind whole periods of your life that have flourished then dwindled. And the connection made between old music and memories is instant. In this way, music is like a little box where you store bits of yourself, to be removed at later points and cherished.

Music helps you remember. Music helps you forget. Music enchants and music mourns. Music inspires and music dreams. And the best part is you can share music with anyone or keep it all to your selfish little self.

Is it any wonder that we worship Those who Bring Music into our lives?

That being said, allow me to tell you a bit about how I came to meet the man who makes the best music this little person has ever heard.

Over the last year, I have relied on the music of Grandaddy both for my sanity and for my nourishment. It has often been my companion through hours of time alone. Too, it has both prevented me from and encouraged me to be, alone. If you read my Grandaddy Eulogy, you’ll begin to understand the transformation I sustained whilst listening to Grandaddy. It was only when I joined TalkScape that I found some kindreds with which to share my little festering obsession.

Around July of 2005, I was spending lots of time alone in my apartment, thinking about end of my relationship with Danny. It was a hot summer, relentless and long, and quite a few of my friends had skipped Boston for the summmer to pursue other activities. This, added to the fact that I didn’t have a TV, left me with lots and lots of time to sit around and think. After an inebriated week (or two) of feeling sorry for myself, I turned to the two things I knew would help occupy my time; the internet and drawing. The entertainment possibilities of the internet of course needs no explanation, but let me talk a little about my art.

Drawing was a surprisingly cathartic activity for me. Drawing has always been a fun thing for me, and I’ve always been good at it. However, dating Danny was time consuming, and many of my hobbies had gotten shoved to the back of my life because I was having too much fun being young and restless. It was something I always wanted to do but couldn’t seem to fit it into my schedule. Now, with hours upon silent hour looming over my head for the rest of the summer, I picked up my sketch book and started drawing little things here and there. Immediately I remembered a little part of myself I had forgotten, and began drawing almost everyday. It allowed my to focus my attentions on honing my skill, rather than worring about being alone.

So, it was only natural that my love for drawing and love for Grandaddy were to combine somewhere down the line. I started by drawing a portrait of the band as best I could based off of a picture of them I found on wikipedia. When I finished it, I was not too impressed overall with my drawing; my portraiture skills had lost their edge since I hadn’t used them much over the last four years.

But the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to draw a portrait that I could send to the band as a token of my appreciation. I thought it might be fun to depict them as animals, since the band employs in its music themes nature and forest creatures. I started my portrait of the band anew, pondering which forest animal would represent each band member best. I probably went through about 15 different versions over the next few months, and countless different faces and expressions of the animals on each version.

Meanwhile, I was researching everything Grandaddy on the internet…I scoured Google for pictures of the band, for interviews, for songs I hadn’t heard. By the end of the summer I had amassed on my hard drive a large collection of pictures and songs, to which I was listening to constantly. I was visiting the Grandaddy website, and reading the fan-based message forum, TalkScape on the site. Around early September I decided to join the forum.

TalkScape was a welcoming community, everyone seemed nice and commented sweetly on my posts to the forum. I even started to become friends with a few people on the board, although I still had not yet met any of them in person. I spent quite a bit of time on TalkScape, learning more about the band than I had ever imagined, and getting insights in to their music and unreleased demos and other little gems.

Other things in my life were changing as well; I had moved out of the crappy little apartment I had shared with Danny, and moved to another part of Boston into a beautiful apartment with my best friend from college, Ariana. Restarting my drawing had proved to be fruitful! By December, I had built my website and some people had been commisioning me for illustrative/design work, and that was truly satisfying work.

Around the middle of December 2005, after I had gone through several iterations of my Grandaddy portrait, and received countless encouragements from several TalkScapers, most among them from dear sweet Mikkel, I finally finally finished my drawing of Aaron, Jason, Jim, Kevin & Tim. I scanned it and colored it digitally in Photoshop, and then I posted a jpeg version of it on TalkScape, and got some really nice comments from a lot of people. See below


2005 ends
2006 begins

Grandaddy announces officially in January that they’re breaking up. Most of us fans had seen it coming for a while; the announcement wasn’t a surprise. Meanwhile, they had just released an 8 song EP,Excerpts from the Diary of Todd Zilla in November, with their final album, Just Like the Fambly Cat, to be released in May. The band had no plans to tour. Hearing this made me so sad…I had never seen the band live and it looked now as if I would never get the chance.


Sometime in early February I received an email from a stranger claming to be a friend of Jason Lytle’s. Says he saw my website and loved my Grandaddy drawing, and wondered if I would be willing to send him a print of the drawing so that he could give it to Jason as a gift before Jason left his native home of Modesto, California to move to Bozeman, Montana–a move that would cement his ending of the band. Common sense told me to be immediately skeptical, but some little intuition of mine (and some big huge hope) said that this guy was telling the truth. After a few emails with him, the guy, Bob, did seem to be legitimate. So I printed him out about 6 copies of the colored version of the drawing on heavy weight paper in various sizes, and shipped them off to Modesto.

In return, Bon (Bob’s nickname) sent me a package full of little Grandaddy items from various tours, including a pen from the Sumday album, some stickers, a CD of a song single, “Hewlett’s Daughter”, some buttons and few other little priceless ephemera. He also eventually sent me a huge poster tube full of about 15 posters from the band’s career over the past decade or so that he had gathered from the band’s storage closet and from some of the band member’s houses. They were wonderful. I have two of them on my wall right now.

Bon was a truly sweet guy. He had been a great friend and a roadie for the band, and had been traveling with them around the world over the last decade. He was close with the whole band, and knew things, little things, about members of the band that you just can’t find on message forums and the internet. We became friends via the emails, and started emailing stories to one another about our experiences with the music. I also found out he is the guy on the back of the Sophtware Slump album, and the guy on the front of the Brokendown Comforter Collection EP. You can read more about my initial emails with Bon here.

I was excited about the idea that Jason Lytle would be receiving a my drawing, framed–no less!, to hang on his wall in his new house in Montana. When I sent off the posters in the mail, I also sent a little card with a note for Bon to give to Jason proclaiming how I love his music.

I was really curious about learning Jason’s reaction from Bon when he gave him the drawing. A month or so passed, and he said he had not yet given the drawing to Jason. After a few more weeks passed and he still hadn’t given it to him, I was beginning to wonder if Bon was going to give the drawing to Jason at all. But he promised he would, so I just kind of decided to stop thinking about it and move on with life.


Sometime in late 2005, Grandaddy’s drummer, Aaron Burtch posted on Talkscape that the band was trying to make a DVD with live footage from their tour, but they had very little and so they were asking the fans to send in what the had to contribute. Then, again, in April, there was some talk of fans making music videos from the new album to be included on the DVD. That caused some excitement among the fans on TalkScape, and I wondered if there was something I could do to contribute.

Then one day, a post was written by a guy whose alias was NallTWD. He said he lived in Boston and that he had access to film equipment and wanted to make a video. I about fell out of my chair. Most of the people I had met on Talkscape were in the UK or on the west coast of the states, so to find out that not only did this person have professional video equipment, but that he also lived in Boston seemed almost too good to be true.

I emailed him immediately and told him I wanted to be a part of the video if he would be interested in collaborating. We started emailing, and decided to meet up in early May to discuss the video.

During this time, Jason Lytle (accompanied in some shows by Aaron Burtch) was making a short tour around the USA, stopping at six places or so, doing small instore performances to promote his new album. He was to play in New York City at a store called Other Music on May 17. I wanted to go, but I would have to take a day off work and figure out how to get up to NYC, considering I didn’t have a car.

I was vacillating, but then I got an email from Bon that made my final decision for me; he said that he was flying out to New York with Jason to accompany him at the performance. I decided I had to go. Bon said that he would look for me at the performance so that we could meet in person and talk a little. I instantly thought that if I was able to see Bon & have the possibility of meeting Jason, that the trip would be totally worth it, no matter how much trouble it would cause me.

Tyler (NallTWD) and I met for the first time in person on May 7, at a Boloco for dinner, to shake hands and hash out some ideas for the video we were going to do. During dinner, he mentioned a brillant, brilliant idea: He suggested that we go to New York together and he would film the Other Music show while I narrated the experience. I was instantly in love with the idea, and we began our plan of action.

The whole situation couldn’t have worked out better; not only would I not have to go to New York City by myself, but we would also just drive his car instead of taking the bus, *and* the whole show would be on video, to boot!

About a week before we left, I was filled with thoughts of meeting Jason Lytle and how I would react to standing in front of him. Whether I would cry during his show or if I would be a nervous wreck and be sweating too much to even shake his hand afterwards. It’s not everyday you get to see your absolute musical HERO *and* get the chance to say hello to him. I kept wondering what I was going to say? What words coming out of my mouth would wrap up my insane feelings for this music, without coming off as trite or psychotic?

I had been listening to Grandaddy for about three years at this point, and I had began to idolize Jason Lytle and the other members of Grandaddy way past the point that I had ever loved any other band, ever. I want you to know the weight of this love, at the risk of sounding like a total freak…So, here it is: I know the sound of Jason Lytle’s voice better than I know anything else in my life.

I *needed* to let him know that somehow. And I knew my nervous tendencies combined with my utmost admiration for the music would prevent me from being my usual garrulous self around Jason.

So what was I to do? What could I do that wouldn’t require that I memorize a huge script or that I would have to write words on my hand, like a cheating 5th grader? Or even worse, be faced with the impossible task of coming up with the very words to express my undying love in what little tiny bit of time I would have with the man? I wanted to say something that he would remember. But what, what?

And then, in the flash of a second, I had it: I would bring my original drawing of the band I had drawn and present it to him as a gift. I didn’t know if Bon had yet given him the printed, colored drawing I had sent in Feburary, but no matter. If Bon had given him the drawing, then Jason might remember who I was (especially if he had gotten the card I had included with the prints I had sent to Bon). But if Bon had not yet given him the drawing, no matter, I would have the pleasure of seeing Jason’s initial reaction to the drawing. Either way would be a win-win situation.


Tyler got the camera and video tapes together, while I plotted out our route to New York and organized some other things for the trip, including contacting Other Music to see if we could film the show inside. They didn’t seem to have a problem with it, but suggested we ask the artist first. I mentioned the filming to Bon in an email, to see if he thought Jason would mind us taping the show. He didn’t seem to think it would be a problem as long as we weren’t in Jason’s face during the performance. However, he didn’t have time to actually ask Jason about it, so Tyler and I just decided to just go for it and see what we could get.

Wednesday, May 17, Tyler picked me up outside my apartment at about 11:00 am. We drove to New York City and, despite a small glitch in our driving directions, we arrived happy and eager in New York City at about 3:30pm. We parked the car at a garage, and set off with our equipment into the city. We found Other Music about 15 minutes later. It was tiny, which was both thrilling and made me anxious. Thrilling because I knew I would be able to stand so close to Jason as he was playing, and anxious because I wanted to make sure that we got in before the store reached full capacity.

Tyler and I walked around the city, me snapping some photos while he shot some footage around the Union Square park. After grabbing my favorite New York street food, roasted coconuts, stopping for several pee breaks at Au Bon Pain and generally working ourselves up for the show, we walked back to Other Music and noticed that a line had already started for the show. We got in line, and Tyler started filming me talking about the band. Then, we turned around and started chatting up the guys behind us, eventually filming them and their Grandaddy stories.

Also, for the film, I brought out the Grandaddy drawing I had made so that Tyler could shoot me with it before I gave it to Jason. One guy a few people behind me in line said to me “Hey, I’ve seen that before” and I asked him if he’d seen it on TalkScape. He said yes and then after introductions, I realized it was Dr. Doak from TalkScape! That was neat to meet him there..Tyler and I talked to him for a moment.

It was about 7, an hour before the show, and I was getting all psyched up for it, and decided to down about three huge gulps of rum so that I wouldn’t be all nerves during and after the show, in case I got the chance to say hi to Jason. Well, I drank it on an empty stomach, and it worked very fast. I wasn’t nervous at all after that, in fact, I was feeling a little bit drunk!

At one point, I turned around in line to see that Tyler was in a conversation with a woman and it seemed to not be going so well. Apparently, she was the band’s manager, and had seen us filming. She said that we wouldn’t be able to film inside the venue during the show. Tyler tried everything he could to talk her into it, but she said she had promised the filming exclusively to an undisclosed website.

She was very diplomatic and seemed truly sorry not to be able to let us film, but she was firm and it really pissed off poor Tyler and I felt pretty bad about that. It did seem unfair, we had both done all we could prior to the show to arrange the filming of it. We even had been invited by an employee of Other Music to come in before the show to set up our equipment early. Then we were just so quickly shut down. Somehow the fact that I knew Bon came up during their conversation (I was trying to stay out of it) and then I was trying to explain it to her, and then realized that I had not yet seen Bon at the show.

The manager left and a few minutes later she came back out with a tall, kind of lanky guy carrying a little camcorder, who was walking around filming all the people in line. I did a double take and realized it was Bon. I said hello to him but he didn’t hear me. Then, he came back around and stood almost right in front of me, filming the exterior of the store, and then I went up to him to say hi so he wouldn’t mistake me. He looked at me for a second before recognizing me, but then was like “Oh, hello!” gave me a hug, and we stood and talked for a minute. The band manager was following behind him, and he handed her the camera to give me the hug. She asked if she should be filming this, and then started filming me talking to Bon, and I think shortly after that moment, Tyler started filming it too.

I showed Bon the original of the drawing that I had done of Grandaddy and then told him I was going to give it to Jason after the show. He said “Oh, I gave the one you sent to me to him just the other day!” And I got all excited and asked what his reaction had been, and he said…I had it all wrapped up and I just gave it to him before he left, so I didn’t see his reaction. I forgot to ask Bon if he had given him the little note I had included…but I’ll probably eventually be able to find this out from Bon.

So the moment of Jason actually opening the drawing and seeing it for the first time is a shrouded in mystery in my mind..and I kind of like it that way. I just get to dream that it made him smile.

Anyway, I told Bon about our filming woes with the manager, but he didn’t seem to really know how to get around it. I just shrugged and produced some little gifts I had brought for him from Boston: a wind up lobster toy and a bag of gummy lobsters that I kept telling him were lobster flavored (he didn’t believe me.)

He left after a few minutes and I went back to Tyler in the line where we waited to enter the show. A few minutes later, they let us into the music store, and I sidled up behind the other camera guy that was already set up to film the show. The little store filled up fast but I was happy to have a front row view. The stage, if it could even be called a stage, was just a simple platform not more than 5 foot square, with a rod-iron chair and two microphones set up and some warm lighting–very simple.

Tyler, positioned behind the other camera guy, set up his camera to film secretly anyway by kind of setting it at a hidden angle on top of his bag. The guy was determined–you have to give him that. He covered the top of the camera with a bag from the store, and it was really hard to see, since it was just sitting on the ground. I’m not sure if he got a good shot of the stage or not…but we’ll see soon enough–at least by the end of this month I think he’ll have our documentary. With his camera in place and our great view of the show, we were ready and waiting for Jason to come out and begin playing.

About 10 minutes later, I saw Jason sliding quietly around some fans and then he stepped up on stage and sat down into his simple little chair. He gave a quiet, shy hello and then immediately started to play.

What can I say about his performance? It was perfect. It was incredible. It was just short of a religious experience for me. His voice was every bit as lovely at is on the record, and every bit as sweet. I don’t think I blinked or breathed that entire show…I just stared, listing slightly forward, with my jaw agape for the entire 45 minutes. It was beautiful the way he played…it seemed so intimate.

It felt nothing like a proper concert, but more like a group of people who were hanging out around to see some guy play in someone’s backyard–in other words, a wonderfully cozy experience. I have to thank the venue for that, but also the absolute absense of any pretense or arrogance on the part of Jason. He just acted like a normal, simple guy…I expected that from him, that he would be unassuming and a little quiet. But oh, what sheer genius lay just behind his brown cap can never be fully measured.

He played an amazing set. Probably about 9 songs…I don’t have the entire set list written down but I do remember that he played “Jed’s Other Poem”, “Protected from the Rain”, and my favorite…”Go Progress Chrome”. I guess I sort of expected him to play songs from the new album…and they were fantastic–I really do love the new album…but for him to play some of the older songs was unexpected and so so great. When he announced that he was going to play “Go Progress Chrome”, I sucked in a bunch of air real quick and then to my utter embarassment realized I had just gasped infront of the entire room, an otherwise silent and captive crowd. My gasp was involuntary and purely reactionary. His expression didn’t change, nor did he even look up from the guitar, so I thought I was safe–his face just remained calm and serene and distant. Then he then told a great little story about the song, which was probably half of the talking he did for the whole show.

He seemed rather shy and even a little uneasy in front of all those people. But, who can blame him; when you have a sea of people staring at you, some of which are standing a mere five feet away, it’s got to be disconcerting. He rarely looked up at all from his guitar, even between songs–probably didn’t want to fully realize the huge amount of moon-faced, wide-eyed fans that were just salivating for his next song. Or at least I was…haha.

When he would play particular lovely songs or sing singularly wonderful bits, I would turn to look at Tyler, who seemed to be really into the performance as well. I was glad then that Tyler and I had come together so I could have someone with whom to share the concert. I was also able to even get a few pictures of Jason with my digital camera during his performance, he didn’t seem to mind at all the flash. Tons of other people were taking photos too, so I figured it didn’t matter.

Of course I wish it could have never ended. I would have gladly stood there all night and listened to song after song after song. But then, and suddenly, he finished. People clapped and clapped, enough so that he hopped up, a little gingerly, back onto the stage and played “The Group Who Couldn’t Say” as a encore, which went over very well with the crowd. Many of the fans started singing along. Tyler took a risk, and I’m so glad that he did, and pulled up the camera and properly filmed the last song. We didn’t see the band manager anywhere in sight, so we thought it would be safe. I stood to the side a little to protect him from being seen, and I think he got a decent shot of the entire last song performance.

Afterwards, Jason just stood there, kind of looking around a bit nervously like a bunny in a field for a moment as he was surveying the crowd. Some people started toward the door and others towards him. My heart was pounding because I knew I should run up to him and say hello before he took off but I didn’t even know where to begin. I just desperately wanted him not to leave–he was standing so close to me….

Another girl ran up to him to get an autograph, and then I followed her lead and sort of got in line behind a couple of other guys. I patiently waited my turn, and when it came my moment to step up to talk to him, of course I felt like I had suddenly just left my body. He said hello to me, all kind and soft-spoken, and then I told him I had something to give to him. “Oh yeah?” he said, reaching around his chair to take a little sip of some red wine out of a dixie cup. I produced my sketch book, opened it up to the first page, glanced at the original Grandaddy drawing for one last moment, before pulling the sheet out of the spiral binding and handing it to him.

He looked at it, for a few seconds, chuckling, in an almost dis-believing way, and then looked into my eyes for the first time and he seemed a different, more relaxed person for a moment. He said:

“You know…..I just got this the other day!”
I grinned, and said to him,
“No way!”
“Yeah, it’s sitting in my van right now! It’s really great.”
“I drew it!” I chirped, with the pride of a five year-old child.
“Yeah, I really like it.”

I was so pleased that he liked it..and was smiling at him, and before I knew it, he jumped up out of his chair and wrapped his arms around me a for a hug that lasted for about 1 second and then, just as quickly, he was sitting down again. I think I froze/freaked out then just a little. Forgetting all of everything that I had planned to say to him, I just said (awkwardly)

“I came from Boston to see this show.”
“Really?” he asked. “Was it too short? Because I was worried that people would travel up here and then it wouldn’t be long enough.”I said
“No, no! It was worth every second of it. It was just perfect. Thank you so much for playing “Go Progress Chrome” (here I totally stumbled on the song title because of being nervous…but thankfully, that was the only time I really stuttered while talking to him).

Then he smiled and turned around to set the drawing on his guitar case behind him and then I asked if he would sign something for me. He said he would so I pulled out of my bag the little white cardboard CD envelope that held my copy of Windfall Varietal. I handed it to him, and he said,

“What’s this?” and tipped it open so that he could see what was in it. He gave a little “Hm!” when he saw what it was and then signed it “Jason Lytle, at his splendidly dullest” and drew a little picture of a (his?) face. I said,
“Oh wow! I even get a picture!”
“Yeah, now I’ll have to do it for everyone,” he laughed. I winked at him and told him I wouldn’t tell anyone. At that moment I remembered the HUGE amount of patient fans behind me waiting to get their chance to see Jason, so I thanked him one last time, and turned to go.

The whole encounter lasted no more than 45 seconds,and then it was over, over. I was sort of floaty, after that, as one might imagine. I turned to Tyler to say
“He gave me a hug! A HUG!” and Tyler smiled and said to me,
“And I got it all on video.” I could have kissed Tyler for that–just to have that little perfect moment recorded so I could live it over and over again was great.

After that, I looked around for Bon and then we talked for about a half an hour or so. Bon was quite sweet and it was great to catch up with him in person. We even made plans to meet up again in October in San Francisco, so here’s hoping that will happen. After all, I had promised to buy him a blueberry beer for sending to me all the stuff in the mail. The manager, (named Suzann) came up and Bon said I should get her information for the future, which made me smile. She smiled at me and explained to him that we had already exchanged info. Somehow that made me feel pretty important, and I just smiled back at the both of them.


At one point before the show some girl had handed Tyler and I a flyer with a black and white copy of the cover of Just like the Fambly Cat on it that said there was going to be an official (whatever official means) after-party at a bar a few blocks away. I asked Bon if he thought he and Jason were going to go, but he said that he didn’t know but thought probably not.

I took a few more pictures with my camera, and then posed for a picture for Bon before taking one of him standing next to Jason, (who, incidentally, was still signing autographs–now about 45 minutes after the show).

Tyler and I stood around in Other Music while it slowly cleared out, filming the reaction of a few people who had seen the show. I was happy to just stand in the room where I could occasionally look over to see Jason still sitting there, patiently chatting with and posing for pictures for his fans.

I wasn’t nervous anymore but it was still awesome to see him right in front of me. Eventually he finished signing autographs and then got up to walk across the room to pick up his camera to leave. Other Music was closing down…so I went over and said goodbye to Bon and then said a quiet thank you to Jason, who didn’t hear me..but his manager and some other dude were standing there so I didn’t have the nerve to tap him on his shoulder and say it again.

Tyler and I walked out into the dark street, he telling me a little bit about how he had gotten to shake Jason’s hand and thank him, and then we stood around until Jason came out with Bon, Suzann, and the other guy. He looked up at me, standing against the building, beaming at him. I twiddled my fingers at him in a little wave and he grinned back at me once more before I turned to go.

As Tyler and I walked away, I turned around to look at him him a few last times before he was gone forever. I saw him look at me again, probably wondering when this crazy girl would just go and stop staring at him. I heard him mention something about a nice pizza place and then Tyler and I turned the corner and then it was alllllll over.

Tyler and I packed up our equipment and picked up the car. We were both pretty happy overall with the day, despite the problems with filming. We listened to every single Grandaddy Album on the way back to Boston..and it was probably my favorite listening ever. We both totally rocked out to “Chartsengrafs” which was so fun.

We stopped for some gas and Redbull at one point, and then arrived back in Boston by about 1:45. Tyler, the sweetheart that he is, drove me right to my door.

I was so happy to meet Jason. It was amazing to see him play. The weather that day had been absolutely delightful. I had gotten to meet Bon. The day couldn’t have been more perfect. I recounted all the little steps over the last three years that had led me to that moment. And I was elated to say that, for one little moment in time, that the degrees that separated me and the genius behind Grandaddy had been reduced from six to zero. For about 1.5 seconds, I had had him in my arms. Let me just drift away on that little thought…

Anyway, here are a few pictures from the show. Enjoy. And, if you made it with me to the end of this post, which’s length borders on epic, thanks very much for reading it. The whole experience meant a lot to me.

Jason Sings Go Progress Chrome

Jason Sings Elevate Myself

Jason and Bon

Bon and me
Bon and me. Sigh…I just can never keep my eyes open during a flash photo

My Grandaddy drawing sitting on Jason Lytle's guitar case
My drawing sitting on Jason’s guitar case

Jason signs an autograph
Jason, the sweetheart that he is, sits patiently to sign every last CD and poster presented to him. what a guy!

Tyler films the show at Other Music
Tyler, with his sweet camera


Currently listening to “Deadweight” by Beck
Don’t let the sun catch you cr—yyyiiinnnnggg!!

Written by pocheco

May 19, 2006 at 7:06 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

2 Responses

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. Thats one big camera Tyler got there Glad you enjoyed it and got to fulfill a dream. Not everyone gets to fulfill one. I bet your still smiling 🙂 John

    chairman meow

    May 22, 2006 at 2:32 am

  2. Oh and thanks for commenting on my blog. Keep checking back as I always welcome comments etc.. Also I put a link to your website in the links section at the top right of the page. Theres also other usefull stuff on there as well so go check! 🙂 xx

    chairman meow

    May 22, 2006 at 3:04 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: